One Crazy Fiber Lady

The ramblings of a fiber-affected single mother of twins who makes a living as a code monkey

One Crazy Fiber Lady

I’m Back!

February 16th, 2012 · 1 Comment

Okay so it was a bit longer than the 10 days of the actual cruise.  I dealt with some very nasty withdrawal symptoms from the anti-motion sickness patch this year.  24 hours after removing the last patch I got very nauseated, dizzy, broke out in a cold sweat and an awful headache.  Only solution that I could find through copious googling was to take does of meclazine/meclizin (aka Dramamine).  So while I was no longer seasick, I was now stupid sleepy. 
Was an interesting week at work!  That was in addition to the blurred vision from the dilated pupils that I had from day 2 of wearing the patch on through day 5 post wearing the last one.  I’m going to skip the patch fun next year (yes we booked next year’s cruise already!) and wear motion bands or something.  It isn’t worth it.

Okay, the cruise itself was excellent even if we missed Labadee and one more night.  We were at sea for the first 2 full days, arriving at San Juan on Tuesday, getting the cruise back on schedule (Haiti was supposed to be Monday’s stop).  While in San Juan, we wandered around the old city, did a little souvenir shopping and returned to the ship in time for dinner. 

Wednesday brought us to a new island for us, St. Maarten.  Mom and I did a little shopping at her favorite jeweler on the island and I picked up a little something for myself.  We left them to do the resizing/modifications to our new pieces and took the kids to the beach for an afternoon of surf and sand.  It was pretty crowded as there were no less than SEVEN cruise ships in port that day, including our ship’s monster younger sister:  Oasis of the Seas.

That feller in the foreground is actually dad.  Not all seven ships are visible in this picture.  There was only dockage room for six of them, the poor 7th is anchored in the harbor.  It was a beautiful day, the water was warm and calm and I got nifty sparklies at the end of it Smile

Our stop on Thursday was an old friend, St. Thomas.  This year, instead of hiring a cab and heading to one of the beaches on the island like the past two trips (Magen’s Bay and Sapphire Beach), we took an excursion from the ship.  It was the St. John half day champagne cat sail.  We took this catamaran from St. Thomas over to St. John where the kids and I snorkeled from the boat to Honeymoon Beach looking at all the coral and fish.  It was awesome.

That was it for the islands.  Next stop was New Jersey after 3 full days at sea.  This voyage I had an outside cabin with a balcony, and oh boy did I make big time usage of that, especially on the first two days coming home.  There was one day where the kids were just pooped out, probably the first day at sea, that they just wanted to lay around and watch the limited tv options.  I let ‘em and spent my time sitting out on the balcony reading.  It was heaven!

Our dining room experience this year was wonderful!  When we got to the table the first night, there was another family of five, a married couple, the wife’s father, and two kids: 5 yo girl and 7 yo boy.  It was excellent.  The two families got along splendidly.  Since both families agree in child rearing, all 4 children were so well behaved that all the people at the tables around us approached one mom or another over the next couple of days praising how awesome the kids were.  A number of them had been concerned the first night when they saw us, but we were named the best family of the cruise.  Everyone thought we were just one big extended family.  Little did they know that we hadn’t known each other until we sat down the first night.  Can’t tell you how much it means to me to hear that!   Some of the other cruise lines have more informal dining where you don’t have a fixed table and set wait staff.  I can see the freedom in more of a restaurant approach, but honestly, I love the way they spoil you in the old school way of doing it.  I asked my assistant waiter for a splenda packet one night after we’d run out of them in the sweetener bowl.  He came back a few minutes later with a couple of them.  Every night thereafter when he placed my coffee cup on the table after dinner for me, he pulled packets of splenda out of his vest pocket and sat them on the saucer.  Now that’s service!  He also quickly learned my kids’ drinking preferences and had their beverages almost immediately after they’d sat down. 

That’s all for now, I have other posting in me on finished socks, new spindle, incoming and outgoing wheels, and new knitting project, but that will have to wait for another day.

Craft on!

Please follow and like us:

Tags: Family

1 response so far ↓

  • 1 Donna // Feb 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm

    Glad you had a nice time. I used the seabands and they worked fine. I like that way of service too. The wait staff really gets to know you. Amazing that you and the other family got along so well!!