More Stitches

April 7th, 2009 · 8 Comments

I finally got the pictures out of the dSLR so I can do a real post. ¬†Friday night I settled down with the Featherweight to work on a quilt for the boy. ¬†I bought two packs of 5″ charms in Dinosaur Uproar by Moda after finding this tutorial on the ‘net.

By the time I went to bed, I had finished all the 9-patch blocks, cut them and had laid out where the new littler blocks would live.  I did some rudimentary measurements and determined the top was going to be far smaller than I hoped for.

Saturday I hit Joann’s with a 20% off coupon, a few of the blocks, and the twins. ¬†With Alex’s final approval, I picked a fabric for a border to make the topper a decent size, and backing. ¬†After shopping, I did some more sewing. ¬†

dino1

It’s approx 44″ x 60″. ¬†And a closer look at the fabrics:

dino2

I did in the ditch quilting on it as well and just need to attaching the binding. ¬†The binding presser foot that I bought on eBay arrived yesterday (here’s a great review of one) so maybe this binding won’t look like ass (as Kim says).

Maybe spring really is coming.  Sunday was warm and sunny, allowing the monkeys to get outside.  Sand season has officially started!

sand_season

Please follow and like us:

Tags: Quilting

• 1 Tina M. // Apr 7, 2009 at 2:23 pm

I love it. I love the rich colors, the eye-popping madness of all that riotous red and yellow. That quilt makes me happy, even if I’m not all that into dinosaurs.

• 2 Cookie // Apr 7, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Well done!

You’re hooked now, aren’t you? 😀

• 3 Rosa // Apr 7, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Looking great! I love the colors. Lucky boy! Thanks for the information on the binding foot. I still like the process of finishing off the binding by hand, but anything that can speed up the quilting process is nice to keep on hand.

• 4 lynne s of oz // Apr 8, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Quilt topper looks pretty cute to me! I’ve been looking at quilting for ages but quite frankly I am not the world’s most accurate sewer (and am unlikely to achieve it) so anyone who gets a quilt together is doing very well indeed. (I’m more likely to become a fuser instead 😉
    I see Kat is wearing long pants and a jacket. I guess she eventually gave in to winter?

• 5 Ina // Apr 9, 2009 at 11:19 am

Great quilt top! Thanks for the link to the tutorial — I may have to do some sewing.

• 6 JessaLu // Apr 9, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Look at you go with the sewing! ;o) Love the quilt and YAY for sand season!

• 7 misa // Apr 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm

You’re moving along quickly with that quilt, he’ll love it. Hooray for sand monkeys.

• 8 "s"andi // Apr 10, 2009 at 11:50 am

What wonderful work! I’m lovin the pattern and material. Happy Spring!