Chilly Monday

December 22nd, 2008 · 12 Comments

Oh. My. G-d.¬† It is serously cold outside today!¬† Currently 16F in my hometown.¬† It is an established fact that I HATE WINTER.¬† It is so cold today that dad drove me to a different station that actually has a building so I could wait inside rather than at the curve in the road that I normally stand alongside.¬†¬† He’s going to take the twins to daycare.¬† Or not.¬† He’s a good dad.

Speaking of dad, for the very first time, he requested a knitted item.¬† I know, what’s with my family?!¬† First it was my little sister asking for a sweater for her older one.¬† Then my middle sister requested first mittens which then morphed into hats for her boys.¬† Now dad.¬† None of them have asked for anything before.¬† I’m totally amazed.¬† I can’t discourage this whatsoever.¬† So what did I do last night but cast on a hat for dad.¬† I’m using the STR from my nephew’s hat in the blue colorway, but a different pattern.¬† This is simply a 2×2 rib for 11″ and then 3 reduction rows at the crown.¬† Easy peasy.¬†¬†

Man Hat

Man Hat

I know i said I was going to make a scarf for the boys out of the leftovers.¬† I started one, I just didn’t like the feel of the yarn.¬† It is great for hats, I don’t think its soft enough for scarf.¬† So…

After dad’s hat, I’m making one for me.¬† I can’t seem to find a single hat I’ve knit for myself, just stuff i bought at J.Crew when i worked there.¬† They just aren’t as good.¬† I had a felted bucket hat that I can’t seem to locate.¬† Not sure what the yarn is going to be.¬† I do have some brown cascade 220 to match the coat in stash, but there’s probably some yummy handspun cormo in stash.¬† Must dig that up tonight after I wrap the teacher presents.¬† Must also remember to photograph them.¬† I threaded the straps into the bags last night.¬†¬† I’m quite pleased with them.¬†

I didn’t ply the Mea Culpa yet, but did start a new fiber on the Van Eaton.¬† I’m spinning more from CMF, this time it is a BFL in the Black Sun colorway.

Black Sun

Black Sun

This wheel wants to spin very fine.¬† Not sure what the wood is on this bobbin but it isn’t black walnut.¬† I have 7 bobbins for this wheel, 4 of which are the walnut and the others are a mix.¬† I think this one is bubinga.¬† I also decided it was time to spin a little bit more of that toasted banana on the Reeves, another wheel that wants to spin fine!

I showed a picture yesterday with my head all wrapped in cellophane.  Well, a few weeks ago Wendy posted about using henna on her hair.  I followed her links and long story short, bought some for me.  This is the after picture.  I sat with that stuff on my hair for 3 hours yesterday and am most happy with the results.  The gray is covered and appears as copper highlights.  I love it!

Day 1

Day 1

Mom, who agreed to apply the stuff, was most happy when I returned home from the hairdresser on Saturday with much shorter hair! I hadn’t planned on cutting it when I ordered the henna so I have a great deal left.¬† Which is good because I’ll have roots to deal with before I know it.

Please follow and like us:

Tags: Gifts · Spinning

• 1 Dorre // Dec 22, 2008 at 1:15 pm

I totally am having hair envy!! It looks fabulous. I have been looking into the henna thing and I think you have me convinced. 🙂

• 2 Kim // Dec 22, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Ba-da-bubinga! The Fabio bobbins are good wood, huh.
    Nice man hat for Dad. Good that your family is finally coming around to request & appreciate handknits.

• 3 Hillary // Dec 22, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Your hair looks great after the henna. I saw Wendy’s post too but I just like giving all my money to my hairdresser 😉 so I’ll keep doing that.

• 4 Eva // Dec 22, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Oh… lucky you the henna worked out ok 🙂 It really looks good on you too!!! For some strange reason my hair turns ORANGE with any kind of henna applied to it. As a teenager I’d done it a couple of times and I was always orange afterward. Fast forward about 10 years later at the hairdresser. For some reason I told him about my experiences with henna and he said that that was because I was using the cheap stuff. So he was going to use the professional good stuff… and mix 4/5th of black with 1/5 red. I said fine, but it’ll be orange… I should have bet a 1000 USD. After the so many hours of stinky stuff on my head, they washed the hair and it was ORANGE hehehe. you should have seen their faces 🙂

• 5 Tina M. // Dec 22, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Oooh, purty! It looks really nice on you. Maybe I’ll try black henna some time. I’m pretty sure it comes in a dark brown/black too, unless I’m misremembering something awful.

• 6 Kris // Dec 22, 2008 at 4:25 pm

Your hair looks great! Where did you order the henna from? Was it hard to apply? I have newly short hair that need some grey covered — I love the way it turned copper on you.

• 7 --Deb // Dec 22, 2008 at 7:29 pm

I know, it was SO cold this morning! 8 degrees and WINDY. Brrrr. (And, no, Chappy did NOT get a walk today.)

And your hair looks great!

• 8 JessaLu // Dec 22, 2008 at 10:59 pm

You’d better get that CSM to behave or you’ll be knitting gifts forevah. ;op

Love the hair!!

• 9 lynne s of oz // Dec 23, 2008 at 1:48 am

Your hair looks great! Shiny 🙂
    Your dad is wonderful – standing on that train platform would be No Fun At All on a well below freezing day! And looking after the monkeys too.
    Everyone wants knitted stuff! Maybe cos it is cold and knitted woollies are warm?
    Good luck with the snow blowing! Amazing to think I was there not that long ago and it looked a bit different!

• 10 Joan // Dec 23, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Risa – your hair looks great. Happy holidays to you and your family.
    Joan (Deb’s mom)

• 11 Amy // Dec 29, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Your dad sounds like a great guy! He deserves a warm & wonderful handknit hat 🙂 Your hair looks fabulous. Maybe henna is what I need for a hair pick-me-up…

• 12 Ina // Jan 7, 2009 at 5:46 pm

The henna looks great, both the color and the shine. There must be something going around — DH has been demanding handknits, too.