Three-fer

August 6th, 2008 · 11 Comments

I didn’t get as much done last night as I wanted to. First, I’m just working later. We had a new CEO join the company who has questioned my boss as to what hours the development team works. As a result, we’ve been requested to at least be in the office for core business hours: 9-6. I’d been leaving a smidge before 5:30 so as to catch a 6:01 train and get home somewhere around 6:45 so that I could have dinner with the kids. Now I’m leaving a smidge before 6 and on a 6:34 train, not walking in the door until 7:15 or so. With the twins going to bed around 8:15, they can’t exactly hold dinner for me. I’ve been having a quick bite by myself after I get home and then try to round them up for bed. Ugh. Not ideal, but you gotta do right? We’ll just make an extra effort to have quality family dinners over the weekend. This started late last week so I’m still in a bit of an adjustment phase.

Last night the little peeps decided to trade the regular bedtime routine (jammies, teeth, spongebob) for playtime in Kat’s room. I agreed and broke out the XM (Sox beat the Royals – YAY) and MLB The Show. Is it weird that I’m listening to a game while playing another one? I took a picture of my favorite corner in my room. I love the juxtaposition of the sock yarn basket and the electronic goodies. Pretty much sums me up, eh?

Why yes, I have a few game controllers on my dresser 😉

After getting pretty well beaten by the CPU in baseball, I took a shower, trying something new with the hair. I decided to see how much curl I can eek out of it. My hair isn’t curly and it isn’t straight. It is the middle ground: wavy! Means that with work I can do either curly or straight and it stays pretty well. I picked up a few products yesterday during my lunchtime outing along Fulton Street and hope that it helps the curly aspect a bit. I am at a the monthly crossroads though. The bangs. Every four weeks or so, I need to make a decision: do I cut the bangs or let them grown. For the last year or so, the scissors have won. What do you say?

(Please to ignore the dopey look and eyebags, ’tis allergy season still. This was the best picture of a half dozen. Why is it so darn hard to get a shot of yourself without looking truly dorky?)

Once I finished futzing with the hair, I sat down to spend some quality time with the Ladybug. As the baseball game ended in Kansas City, I finished the first of the 4oz of Ultraviolet.

You can just make out the second braid sitting in my spinning basket waiting its turn. Very yummy stuff

I’m still working on Ballerina and she’s progressing nicely. I finished up the 17 sleeve stripes this morning on the ferry. Yesterday I spent some time with Excel and the pattern creating a cheat sheet for tracking what all has to be done. You can just see it peeking out from under the knitting. I’ve got three columns: color, neck edge notes, hem edge notes. The pattern has a few too many of those “AT THE SAME TIME” directives that this will be time well spent. I can see each ridge and what has to be done.

This morning’s huge rainstorm had the benches a tad damp so I couldn’t take a full picture. This is the end of the sleeve. The pink is the waste yarn where I provisionally cast on the sleeve stitches. I started the solid blue section on the other side of the stripes shortly after taking this photo. It will have both short rows for the sleeve/back raglan “seam” as well as staggered 3 needle bind off for the sleeves. Its all good.

Tags: Adult · Ballerina · Spinning

• 1 kch // Aug 6, 2008 at 10:45 am

I absolutely love that fuschia color. Nice spinning!

• 2 Nancy // Aug 6, 2008 at 11:03 am

Lovely spinning. We’re heading into that time here when we have to do higher than normal mandatory hours. It’s always hard to adjust.

I like the bangs although in the interest of full disclosure I am trying to grow my layers out at the moment so it’s do as I say not as I do thing, lol.

• 3 Paula // Aug 6, 2008 at 11:33 am

I love the fuschia color too. I personally like bangs, but mainly because that is where my (white, not gray) hair is. My hair is just wavy enough to drive me crazy. What works? I have tried many products. The wave falls out easily, leaving me with partially straight hair with stubborn curls sticking out!

• 4 Danielle // Aug 6, 2008 at 11:36 am

“Why yes, I have a few game controllers on my dresser.” — And, umm, a few skeins of sock yarn too!

• 5 Kim // Aug 6, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I like bangs on you. and the wavy hair is cool! Sucky about the later working hours. It’s the same with our family. I miss dinner all week. Oh well. It’s not a Leave It To Beaver existence, but I wouldn’t make a very good June Cleaver (or any cleaver, really).

• 6 --Deb // Aug 6, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Yay for curly hair! And, I like the bangs on you. My hair is too curly for bangs, but I LIKE them, so since they work for you, I say keep them.

• 7 Suzanne // Aug 6, 2008 at 7:32 pm

I like your bangs. But, I am also one that is growing mine out. My hairdresser laughs at me because I grow them out, then cut them. Again and again…..

Love the pink .

• 8 Nancy // Aug 7, 2008 at 11:32 am

I wish I had your thick, wavy hair! I vote for growing out your bangs…my daughter is growing hers out and it looks good. Sorry about the change in your work hours; DH is up for a promotion and if he gets it I think we’ll be missing him a lot more at dinnertime:o(

• 9 Daniele // Aug 8, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Love the basket of fibery goodness!

• 10 lynne s of oz // Aug 11, 2008 at 2:06 am

The new CEO is obviously not interested in running a family friendly workplace. Longer hours does not equal higher productivity, just more banging heads against walls.
    Wow, your hair is long! Love the waves 🙂 Mine is dead dead straight. I like your bangs (we call it a fringe) .

• 11 JessaLu // Aug 13, 2008 at 10:44 am

Your hair looks great! I use JessiCurl and DevaCurl on my hair and the JessiCurl Rockin’ Ringlets really helps bring out the curl – you put it in when you’re hair is still wet so it helps ‘set’ everything in place. :o)

Love the spinning! ;o)