Win Some

April 24th, 2008 · 9 Comments

Sorry no post yesterday.¬† I was really busy at work and well, so deeply involved in what I was doing that I completely lost track of time.¬† Before I knew it, I’d missed my ferry and subsequently, my regular train.¬† Oh well.¬† I made progress on the project, but other than a break for lunch with Kim, I kept my head down.

Shaped V-Neck

I started off yesterday being this close to finishing Shaped V-Neck.¬† That was roughly 18 rounds of stockinette and another 8 of seed stitch.¬† I’d have to studiously ignore the thing (like by reading a book to not finish it).¬†

By the end of my ferry ride to the office, I was into the seed stitch.  I bound off halfway through my trip home last night.

KP&S Shaped V-Neck

After getting the monkeys into bed, I wove in all the ends.  Using the spit join, which totally freaks out the muggles on the train mind you, I minimize the number of ends.  Yeah on that.  Still, there was about 10 minutes worth of end weaving.

Then the moment of truth:¬† I tried it on.¬† LOVE IT.¬† Sorry for the truly dorky picture.¬† Honestly, this was the best of them though.¬† I did a quick steam block to keep the seed stitch bands from rolling.¬† But it needs a better blocking.¬† Didn’t keep me from wearing it today!

clapotis

Amazing how fast a project can be completed when you actually focus on it!¬† What am I focusing on now?¬† Clap-Two!¬† I found the yarn a few weeks ago so I could go back to it.¬† By my reckoning, I’m a third of the way through it.¬†¬†This sucker is going down soon too.¬† As a refresher, I’m using Lorna’s Lion & Lamb in the Black Pearl that I picked up on the old Destash list for an excellent price.¬† Love this stuff.

Now for the bad news.  I found out that I was misinformed regarding the whole school board elections and the full day KG question in particular.  Thanks to a new state law, 60 percent voter approval was required.

“Voters rejected a proposal to spend an additional $735,500 for a new full-day kindergarten program. That money would have paid for nine new classroom teachers in each elementary school, one physical education teacher, six lunch aides and one art/music teacher. To succeed, the ballot question needed 60 percent of the vote, but barely eclipsed 50 percent in a 2,191 to 2,190 result.”

Doh.¬†¬† Not sure where the monkeys will be going to KG though the half day public and that aftercare program is looking attractive.¬† Probably depends how it compares costwise to the center they are at now, where there is a full day accredited KG.¬† Always something isn’t it?

Tags: Adult

• 1 Jessica // Apr 24, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Yay!! It looks great! And a week ahead of time even!! Can’t wait to see it in person. Love the colors of the clap-two. Bummer about the school though. See you later!

• 2 Kim // Apr 24, 2008 at 1:54 pm

The sweater looks great! to get the full freak-out-the-muggles-effect when you spit splice on the train, be sure to make a hawking/hacking phlegm noise. 🙂
    Good to hear that Black Pearl appeared. It’s funny how yarn just disappears and suddenly reappears!

• 3 --Deb // Apr 24, 2008 at 2:18 pm

The sweater does look great (despite the less-than-perfect photo). And, how awful about the vote needing 60%!

• 4 Dorre // Apr 24, 2008 at 4:13 pm

sweater looks lovely… so sorry about the kindergarten that totally stinkos 😉

• 5 Chris // Apr 24, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Bravo on the sweater! It looks great. The KG vote – my sympathies. I didn’t have the full day KG option for my kids either, but only felt that for the last one. We decided to keep him at the day care center for it’s accredited KG program – the extra cost was worth not having to ship him back and forth all day. But it sounds like you wouldn’t have to do the shuffle? good luck, whatever your options!

• 6 Lizzy B // Apr 25, 2008 at 7:47 am

Woot! Congrats on a gorgeous sweater!

• 7 JessaLu // Apr 25, 2008 at 11:05 am

Your v-neck looks wonderful!!!

How scary is this – I’m knitting a clap out of L&L in Black Purl that I purchased on Destash. We’ll be the clapotis twins! lol

• 8 Janette // Apr 25, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Is Kindergarten a requirement for your state? I know it’s optional here in Michigan. There’s a center that has a program of 3 full days a week that winds up counting as a regular 5 1/2 day week of kindergarten. Because it’s not required, they’re a little more flexible about how you get it done. Good luck!

Oh and I love the sweater, shawls and the clapotis. You almost inspire me to pull out my yarn for it and give it another try.

• 9 Sarah // Apr 26, 2008 at 7:49 am

The sweater looks great! I made that pattern a couple of years ago and of all the things I’ve knitted, it’s the one I use/wear the most. It’s so comfortable! I’ve been thinking of making another, in a different color.